Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Momma was right...

I just started reading Radical by David Platt after a recommendation... well, long conversation with my mother about an epiphany that was "rocking her world." Already chapter one, BAM, ouch. Too much truth. Truth in the convicting, want-to-deny-it-but-can't, want-to-stop-reading-but-can't kind of way. Here is the passage that hit the hardest.

"We are giving into the dangerous temptation to take the Jesus of the Bible and twist him into a version of Jesus we are more comfortable with. A nice, middle-class, American Jesus. A Jesus who doesn't mind materialism and who would never call us to give away everything we have. A Jesus who would not expect us to forsake our closest relationships so that he receives all our affection. A Jesus who is fine with nominal devotion that does not infringe on our comforts, because, after all, he loves us just the way we are. A Jesus who wants us to be balanced, who wants us to avoid dangerous extremes, and who, for that matter, wants us to avoid danger altogether. A Jesus who brings comfort and prosperity as we live out our Christian spin on the American dream."

He goes on to write...

"But do you and I realize what we are doing at this point? We are molding Jesus into our image. He is beginning to look a lot like us because, after all, this is whom we are most comfortable with. And the danger now is that when we gather in our church buildings to sing and lift up our hands in worship, we may not actually be worshipping the Jesus of the Bible. Instead we may be worshipping ourselves. 


That is some tough stuff to read. Although, it is comforting to read, and to know, that my spontaneous decision to travel to a country I know nothing about, to a completely different world that the one I have been blessed to live in, is not as crazy as I originally thought. :)

I CANNOT wait to be in Ethiopia. I want to tell the women how beautiful they are. That they are made beautifully in His image! Our skin will not be the same color, our clothing will not be the same, our language will not be the same, but we will share the fact that our Almighty Creator made us EXACTLY how he wanted us. How can you even argue with that?

I want to hug and cuddle with the incredibly resilient children. I want to shed tears of misunderstanding, only understanding that only God is in control. I want to be there, to be changed.



I thought it would be a while before I started to really desire to be in Ethiopia. Well, it's happening. God has gripped my heart. Our only purpose on this earth is to let the billions of people who have never heard of Jesus KNOW ABOUT HIM! It is stated clear as day in the Bible. How after 18 years have I missed it? I was caught up in being a teenager; I was worried about boys, college, friends, work... When all I should be worried about is letting everything I do be towards the growth of His eternal kingdom! Ethiopia here I come! I have so far to go (literally, Africa is FAR!), but I am excited to let everyday be one of glory to Him.

  No more wishy-washy-ness. 

Now on to Chapter 2.. Man, Mr. David Platt, you sure wrote a good book! :P

2 comments:

  1. "A Jesus who would not expect us to forsake our closest relationships so that he receives all our affection."

    <3

    Jesus, it is well with my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you'd read this post. I thought of you. <3 Have you read Radical? I think you would love it!

    ReplyDelete